For Employers

FWSP Employer

The Harvard Student Employment Office administers the Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) for Harvard students working in off-campus agencies. How can we help your organization? FWSP offers significant cost savings in employing eligible Harvard students. Rather than paying the student's full wage, your organization will typically only be responsible a potion of the agreed upon hourly rate plus 7.9% in payroll taxes.

  • Non-profit organizations: The standard FWSP reimbursement rate is 70%, with the employer responsible for the remaining 30% plus payroll taxes and fringe benefits.
  • For-profit organizations: The reimbursement rate is 50%, with the employer resposible for the remaining 50% plus payroll taxes and fringe benefits.

If your organization can demonstrate financial hardship, the Student Employment Office can offer a 25% or 10% option (plus tax) depending on your specific organization. Since FWSP is a federally-funded financial aid program, the Student Employment Office will take care of payroll services and then bill your organization for the employer's share at the end of the employment period.

Getting Started

  • Confirm that your organization is eligible to participate in the Federal Work Study Program. Most for-profit enterprises are not eligible.
  • Determine your budget for student employment. Keep in mind that the maximum your organization is responsible for is 30% of a student's earnings (plus 7.9% tax). If your organization can demonstrate financial hardship or is a community service focused organization you may be considered for a 10% or 25% share (plus 7.3% tax). Contact us with your specific situation.
  • Recruit a Harvard student through the Student Employment Office Jobs Database. When posting a job, be sure to choose whether you are only accepting FWSP students or if any Harvard student is welcome to apply. While we can't stop non-FWSP students from applying, choosing Federal Work Study Program as a funding source will limit the number of non-FWSP applicants.
  • Need assistance using the Jobs Database? Check out our help page.