Can I take advantage of a student's Federal Work Study eligibility retroactively?

You certainly can. Together with the student register the Work Study job. Review the confirmation email. From here you have two options:

  • If you included a WST costing string when making the hire in Peoplesoft you can send the Employee Record Number to the Student Employment Office who will activate WST coding. Peoplesoft permits administrators to go back up to 30 days to change the Time Reporting Code from REG to WST. Earnings more than 30 days in the past must be journaled. Going forward, pay the student with WST.
  • Ask your local finance/payroll administrator to journal the student's earnings from obj code 6110 to obj code 0139. If you don't have anyone who has journaling access then contact the Student Employment Office.

If you have questions about this please contact the Manager of the Federal Work Study Program at 5-2587.