Starting a New Job

starting a new job_campus image

In order to begin working at a new job you must first file all of the required verification and tax documents either with your on-campus employer or with the Harvard Student Employment Office.

  1. Student’s must have a valid I-9 form on file with the University to begin working. The I-9 form is a federal document that verifies your eligibility to work in the United States. All United States citizens and most enrolled foreign nationals are eligible. Once you have completed the I-9 process you will be able to work anywhere in Harvard until your graduation date.

  2. You will complete the I-9 form with your employer, who will send the completed I-9 to Harvard’s Payroll Department. Once it is processed you can begin your new job. If you hold an off-campus Federal Work Study position or a Faculty Aide Program research assistant position, please schedule a virtual I9 appointment with the SEO by emailing For all other on-campus positions, please complete your I9 with your supervisor.

  3. Please set up “direct deposit”. Set up direct deposit in Harvard’s PeopleSoft system once your on-campus employer has hired you. Need help setting up direct deposit?

  4. Complete your tax withholding in PeopleSoft. Unsure how much to withhold? Use the IRS Tax Withholding Calculator. Paper forms are also available but it is preferable to use PeopleSoft.

  5. NEW: Update your home and University mailing address! Note: Harvard students cannot update their home address in PeopleSoft. You must update your home address in my.harvard, which will migrate into Peoplesoft. Instructions for updating your home and University address can be found on the Student Financial Services website.

  6. Questions? Contact us!

Student Responsibilities

Taking a job is a commitment. Please review the list of suggestions regarding how to conduct yourself on the job. As a member of a working unit that depends on you, you are expected to:

  • Establish a work schedule that does not interfere with your class schedule.

  • Notify your supervisor in advance of any changes to your work schedule or other commitments that will affect work availability.

  • Give advance notice when unable to work a scheduled shift.

  • Take the job seriously and perform at the highest level of your ability.

  • Treat your supervisor and fellow employees with respect.

  • Dress appropriately for the job location (some work sites have dress codes).

  • Report to work on time. Notify your supervisor in advance of any possible delays.

  • Do not conduct personal business on the job.

  • Refrain from using cellular phones or personal devices while on the job.

  • Accurately report the hours you work. Falsifying your time sheet is a federal offense.

  • Give two weeks’ notice when resigning.

  • If you are a Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) student, keep a record of all hours reported so as not to report more than your FWSP ceiling.

Job Challenges

Suggestions to Help Navigate Challenging Situations

We encourage supervisors to keep lines of communication open, clear, and constructive. But remember that this is also the student’s responsibility. If you have questions, complaints, suggestions, or issues, politely let your supervisor know. If your schedule changes and you need to alter your work schedule, let your supervisor know. If class requirements are making it difficult to keep your regular work hours, talk to your supervisor. Having your questions answered and sharing your views will help you get the most out of your job.

Problems on the Job

You should first attempt to discuss any concerns you have with your supervisor and try to mutually agree on a resolution. If this approach does not work, you may want to discuss the issue with your Resident Dean or Freshman Advisor. Alternatively you could bring it to the attention of the Student Employment Office.


Changes in class schedule, academic pressures, or other factors may affect your ability to commit to your term-time job. If resignation is the only solution, discuss your concerns with your supervisor and, if possible, give at least two weeks’ notice.

Being Terminated

If your supervisor is not satisfied with your performance, you can be terminated. It is strongly recommended, however, that prior to termination a supervisor meet with a student to review performance concerns, issue a written warning, and establish a timetable to measure improvement.

For gross misconduct, your supervisor may terminate your employment immediately, and you may be referred to your Resident Dean for further action. Gross misconduct includes, but is not limited to, theft of University property, harassment, violation of computer security policies, and timesheet fraud.

In the Case of Termination

If you are terminated and need to discuss further work options, please contact us.

Policies and Procedures at Harvard: